Thursday, June 27, 2013

How to Apply Liquid Foundation - Brush,Sponge and fingers


I've tried almost all methods or things for application of a foundation in past few years. Before i got into blogging my favorite method was to use my fingers to apply any liquid foundation but slowly when i started reading more blogs and after watching million you tube videos ,i can say i have tried almost everything . In this post i am giving my two cents on How to Apply liquid foundation using Brush , Sponge or anything in between.






  • Flat top Kabuki/brush
These days I think the flat top kabuki /brush is the one of the mostly used method for liquid foundation application and it is most certainly my favorite. I use it when i want to look flawless and want a full coverage Best way of using flat top Kabuki/brush is to Dot your face with the foundation either using your fingers. If you are using your fingers, do sanitize your hands before hand. Once you are done, lightly buff in small circular motions. This blurs imperfections and removes any excess product; kabuki is a very densely packed brush so you will achieve a full coverage. I use sigma F80 .
Unique Feature: Dense and flat head 
Function: Buffed foundation application including blending and contouring.
Recommended Use: Blend liquid or cream products onto flat areas of the face such as the forehead and cheeks
Best Brushes for this method: Sigma F80 , Coastal Scents Elite Flat Buffer Brush
Affordable alternative  Elf powder brush

  • Makeup blending Sponge
Now this is the method I need to use more often because this is something you can use when you want a natural finish. When using a sponge you need to use dab or pat method almost using bouncy motions for a natural finish. How it works – You need to soak your sponge in water. Then squeeze out the access water and apply foundation.(Water makes the foundation blend better and u apply it more evenly)make sure to clean it every 3 or 4 times using a gentle cleanser. I have Sonia Kashuk blending sponge.
Unique feature: Its suede texture is sensual to the touch and its unique curves fit the contours of your face.
Function: for a professional finish and a flawless complexion.
Recommended Use: Always use the sponge damp and apply in Dabbing/Patting method for a natural finish
Best product for this method : The beauty blender , Sonia Kashuk blending-sponge
Affordable alternative:  Beauty blender sponge at just4girls

  • Stippling /Duo fiber brush
Now this is my second mostly used method esp when i want to look natural and don’t need that much coverage. It works well with the sheer-medium foundations. Pour some foundation on the back of your hand and dip the brush. Start by lightly patting the brush onto your skin, and make sure to blend in circular (swirling) motions. In my opinion stippling brush are great if you want a fool proof application and it’s easier to blend with it . This gives you a natural and flawless complexion that looks like skin.  You get more of an airbrushed finish. It’s applying a thin layer that covers just enough.I love the stippling brush i bought from coastal scents few years ago as it doesnt shed and gives beautiful finish.
Unique feature: Fiber blend with deep beveled edges
Function:  Soft application of liquid foundation  
Recommended Use: Generates a diffused airbrushed application.
Best Brush for this method: Sigma F15 , ,Real technique stippling brush ,
Affordable alternatives: Mua Stippling brush F2, Luscious  

  • Paddle Foundation brush
Paddle Foundation brush are my least used method but I used the travel sized one for concealer application under eyes .The Paddle Foundation brush gives you a more of a fuller coverage than the stippling brush. The best way of applying foundation is to dot the foundation all over the face and then use downward and outward strokes going from the face to the hairline and then blending at the hairline to make sure no foundation is showing.
Unique feature: Firm and slightly tapered flat brush. I use Sigma f60.
Function:  Smooth foundation application
Recommended Use: Apply liquid or cream products such as foundation and primer.
Best brushes for this method: Sigma F60 , Real Techniques foundation brush ,
Affordable alternatives E.L.F studio angled foundation brush

  • Fingers 
It is one of the quickest and easiest way of applying liquid foundation and also the most inexpensive :) . Fingers warms up the product which helps it blend easily and spread evenly.also you have complete control with your fingers, Just make sure to clean and sanitized your hands before you start. Also the application depneds upon on the type of foundation you are using. I personaly like sheer-medium coverahe foundation or BB creams to be appplied with fingers. If you like using fingers then you don't have to worry about washing brushes and sponges all the time. 

I hope you found this post helpful and let me know if you would like to see such topics in the future in the comment below :) 

6 comments :

  1. Thanks alot for sharing really very helpful tips :) i just love it the way you describe it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my fingers i love working with it on my face it gives more subtle and quick application

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful post, I like applying my foundation with a brush; paddle and kabuki both works fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really helpful sara! I prefer using a flat topped kabuki too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Informative post. I've tried many ways, and every foundations works with different brush or sponge. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative post i am thinking about about buying sigma f80 for my foundation :)

    www.glittergossip.com

    ReplyDelete

♥ I appreciate all your comments.I'll surely get back to your blog :)♥